Landlord Frequently Asked Questions

Read our landlord frequently asked questions below:

Do I need to provide smoke and carbon monoxide alarms?

Due to recent changes, this is the is high up on the list of landlord frequently asked questions. It is now a legal requirement that smoke alarms are provided on every habitable floor of a rental property and are in working order on the day the tenancy starts. The alarms can either be mains or battery operated and the tenants are responsible for testing them regularly throughout the tenancy and replacing any batteries as required.

A carbon monoxide alarm must be provided in every room with a solid fuel appliance. homes4harrogate strongly advise that an alarm is also provided for rental properties with gas appliances as good practice.

Should I allow pets in my property?

There are some benefits to allowing pets in your rental property, especially given that almost half of people are pet owners (46%). Since many landlords are unwilling to accept tenants with pets, allowing them will instantly expand your potential pool of tenants. There is also a small group of landlords who prefer renting to pet owners because they find them to be more responsible and they tend to stay long term due to a short supply of other pet friendly properties.

As a landlord, there are steps you can take to protect your property from any damage that pets may cause. At homes4harrogate we take a refundable Pet Deposit of £200 to cover any pet related damage or infestations found at the end of the tenancy. We can also add a clause to the tenancy agreement allowing for professional carpet cleaning.

Combined with full references and a detailed inventory your property is fully covered for any additional issues a pet may cause.

What happens to my tenant’s deposit?

Landlord’s and Letting Agents are required to register a tenant’s deposit with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. homes4harrogate ask for a deposit which is equivalent to one month’s rent plus £150 with an additional Pet Deposit if required, this is registered with and held by the TDS Custodial Scheme.

Do I need Landlord Insurance?

It is strongly advised that a landlord has adequate insurance in place to protect them from financial loss as a result of damage to the property, arising from amongst others, fire, flood and natural disaster. You may want to check that this includes your carpets, curtains, fixtures and fittings as tenants are only responsible for insuring their own contents. You may also want to check with your mortgage provider, as it may be a stipulated requirement.

Do I need a Legionella Risk Assessment?

It is a legal requirement for a Landlord or Letting Agent to carry out a Risk Assessment and records must be kept for at least five years. You do not need to employ a contractor to carry out the work for you as it can be done by any “responsible person”.

Do I need an Electrical Safety Certificate?

Under the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994, electrical installations and equipment in tenanted premises must be safe. It is in every Landlords’ best interests to make sure that all electrical appliances and electrics (wiring, plugs and sockets, etc), should be properly inspected and checked before every new tenancy starts. homes4harrogate recommend Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) so you can be sure that you are compliant.

If you can’t find the answer to your question please contact us on 01423 529250 or by email to